Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Dictionary

Dictionary

How different the homes of younger people are! Mine has several dictionaries, well-used. Although I do look up words online, I still love leafing through a dictionary and discovering new words. I like to find the derivation of the words (too many years of studying Latin in high school led me down that path).

We even play Boggle with dictionaries - one in English and one in French as we play our bilingual version of the game. While having the fun of playing we strengthen our vocabulary in both languages. I no longer own an encyclopedia and while I love the easy access to knowledge via the internet, I still miss turning the pages of the Encyclopedia Britannica which we had in our home when I was a child. Though the books were helpful for school projects, it was the discoveries I really enjoyed as I happened upon a topic that drew me in - discoveries made when you don't always know what you are looking for.

1 comment:

  1. I have several very old dictionaries that remind me of my youth and the time I spent looking up words. None of the new tech words are included!

    ReplyDelete