Friday, January 29, 2016

Westmount Square

Westmount Square

Westmount Square, a  four building complex (2 apartment towers, an office tower and a lower rise building) was designed by the architect, Mies van der Rohe. In some ways I like the clean lines and the way the buildings seem to float on the ground floor lobbies (see below).

Westmount Square II

There is a shopping concourse underneath. Some years ago, skylights were added, breaking up the marble walkways outside. Although it is nice to have some natural light inside, I am not a fan of changing the architectural integrity.

My parents lived in this building in the 1970s for about 5 years. My father was a building developer and he loved feeling he was living in a building designed by an architectural icon. They moved out, not because they didn't like the building, but because the gentleman upstairs had insomnia and would play his piano above my parents' bedroom at all hours of the night, pounding his feet on the floor. Unfortunately he was a friend of the owner of the building so complaints did not get very far.

2 comments:

  1. What good stories about these buildings, Susan! I'm a sucker for photos that lead to stories. I also like that lone light in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful building! I liked to read this post. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete