Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 97: An Abundance


Day 97: An Abundance, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I was at the market today. There are stores that operate all winter. The outdoor stalls won't be open for another few weeks. Much as I would love to buy local produce, most of what we have is imported, especially this time of year. But what an abundance! With a weekend of holidays coming the stalls seemed stocked more than ever, with varieties of vegetables rarely seen, from miniature cauliflower of different hues, to exotic eggplants. There are tomatoes of every colour and potatoes of every shape. As usual, I carried home too much and will be spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking. But what a pleasure to set a table with freshly made food.

And, of course, I bought flowers - fresh cut tulips from Holland. The man at the stall swore he had been there and back this morning. That is the other part I love about going to the market. The sales people are friendly, not just efficient. I often go back to the same stall for my vegetables. They know me know and there is always time taken for a friendly hello and a chat. A trip to the supermarket is a chore; a trip to the market is an adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful array of abundance! Fresh markets are by far one of my favorite places for both the products and the process of acquiring them! They are also wonderful places to photograph - though I more often find myself caught up in the atmosphere and forget to snap away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your love of the market, Susan. It's so alive with colour, freshness, variety, fresh air and interesting people. I also buy too much, and like to treat myself to flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had a market like that here. I think my husband examined every single tomato in your beautiful photograph! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan,

    Great image. The market is such an interesting place. A trip there is always a positive experience for me since it is such a high energy environment. There's just something about it.

    Thanks for sharing your experience :)

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete