Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 111: Cuttings


Day 111: Clippings, originally uploaded by susanvg.

A plant is sometimes so much more than a plant. It holds a history, has a past. My mother loved plants. This leaf has a direct line to her and to my past. As her dieffenbachia got leggy, she would chop the stem and re-root the pieces to create new plants. All her family and friends had cuttings from her plants.

I continue her example, nurturing plants, making cuttings when I can and sharing with friends and family. We pass on genes, but we pass on family and friendship in so many other ways.

5 comments:

  1. Oh - my mother did this ,too, and so do I! What a nice memory you've given me. I looked a long time at the picture before reading - couldn't figure out what I was seeing. Very interesting photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflection and what a nice 'habit' to pass down and along! Nature and nurture work well in combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this close up. Stuff like this leaf detail I wouldn't probably notice without doing a blog like this. It's nice to have to slow down and look around. Cool shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, and so well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cool. I love the color and patterns and shapes...and composition. Love it!

    ReplyDelete