Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 114: Alpacas


Day 114: Alpacas, originally uploaded by susanvg.

The first time I drove along the roads near Embrun and saw alpacas I did a double-take. We are not in Peru! It seems there are a number of alpaca farms in the neighbourhood. Before Christmas, there were kiosks on the main street in Casselman with craftspeople selling their products. An alpaca farm had socks, mitts and other goods made from alpaca wool. Standing beside the kiosk, in a pen, were two alpacas. I fell in love. They have very sweet faces and incredibly thick, soft wool.

The fields here are not yet green, so the alpacas are feasting on hay from last season. I wonder if they are looking forward to the sweet new growth.

5 comments:

  1. How cool is that? I love the look on their faces! I wonder if they have a large range when feasting on in the summer or if they are well-contained?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an alpaca farm about 15 miles from here and every time I drive by I say, "next time I'm going to stop and ask to take pictures", but I never do. It's on my top ten list of things to do this summer! (I love that grey one in the back of your photo, it has the markings of a sheepdog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now here's something you don't see every day! How fuzzy and cute? I wonder if they spit at you, like llamas do when they are crabby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are every cute. The wool must be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes very cute with HUGE brown eyes. I don't think they spit. We have an alpaca farm here on the island and they're very friendly and lovable.

    ReplyDelete