Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dandelion


Dandelion, originally uploaded by susanvg.
It's interesting how we view certain plants. This dandelion is in my garden (not for much longer). Here we view them as weeds, but Italians like to harvest the young leaves and eat them in a salad. You can find dandelion greens for sale in some grocery stores. I was at a restaurant where they were not only offering fiddleheads (lightly sautéd they are a bit crunchy and taste fresh and springy - it's hard to describe taste), but also ramps. I looked up ramps - wild garlic. There was a site from Tennessee which described ways to eliminate them. They were viewed as weeds (though another site talked about a ramp festival there). Here they were sold as a delicacy. In Quebec they can only be harvested in small quantities for personal use, but may not be picked in provincial parks.

6 comments:

  1. My husband's grandmother collected the leaves of young dandelions for salads. Unfortunately, I have not developed a taste for them (too bitter) - instead I'm bent on destruction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramps grow profusely on the hillsides in our woods. I have never picked any though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not eaten young dandelions,but have seen young dandelion deep fried. It is one of beautiful Japanese dishes called tempura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice radial symmetry in this image. I agree...dandelions must go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn’t know dandelion leaves were edible. Dandelion flowers are sometimes put in a pack of “sashimi” (slices of raw fish) with Japanese horse radish. I like to see a horde of dandelions on the river bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are indeed weeds but I have to admit I love their yellow flowers. They're so happy.

    ReplyDelete