Monday, May 23, 2011

Neighbourhood Visitor

Neighbourhood Visitor
I came home to find this fellow (or gal) in front of my door. It had tipped over the garbage can and was selecting from the menu it found there. I'm not sure what exactly it was munching on, but it was not pleased that I had disturbed its banquet. These are usually more nocturnal animals, but this one was having the early bird special at around 6:00 p.m.

Raccoons like our neighbourhood. At one point I had a family living on my roof, under a deck - a mother and seven babies. The deck is gone, so it is no longer a good nesting place. But I have seen night time marauders checking out the local garbage cans.

5 comments:

  1. He's looking as though he's had a banquet or two at your can! Do you have trouble with rabies in the raccoon population there? Hopefully, not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you look calm and collected enough to be able to take a picture. I guess the raccoon was more astounded. Sorry for them, if they don't enough food in the forests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had to buy a larger baffle for the bird feeder out front, seems a larger than normal raccoon was able to reach around the previous one, which worked fine for several years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks pretty serious about guarding his food. Did you have to get past him to get into the house? I don't think I'd want to mess with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caught red-handed indeed. As we don't have any raccoons, I found your marauder quite cute, but I guess they can be rather a nuisance. We have little mice running around our roof almost every night. And city hares are multiplying like anything here.

    ReplyDelete