Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Aug 31/10: Fossils in Miguasha


Fossils in Miguasha, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I managed a short visit to Miguasha - here is one of the fossils from the museum. This is a World Heritage site - with some of the best fossils found in the world. Dating from the Devonian period and later there are splendid examples. What is really remarkable are the fossils they found that had fins with bones like precursors to hands and feet - the tetrapods. They are a step from fish to the vertebrates that came onto land.

Fern Fossil

Fern Fossil


I'm fascinated by the movement of our land masses. Last year's trip to Newfoundland whetted my interest as I learned about its geology. This year's visit to the Badlands and now Miguasha has only piqued my interest further.

3 comments:

  1. Finding something of that nature would leave me speechless! I have found a few Lope fossils, which are very common, but I was thrilled to find one that was 2 inches long down by our creek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love geology - though I know so little! I'm fascinated by fossils - they give a glimpse of life thousands of years ago.

    ReplyDelete