Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Aug 30/10: From the Dome Car


From the Dome Car, originally uploaded by susanvg.

My summer of train travel. This time - a train from Montreal to Halifax (though I got off in Cambellton, New Brunswick) as I have a couple of days work on the Gaspé peninsula. It's a long trip - twelve hours - and I was booked into a sleeping car.

As we were leaving Montreal, I sat in the dome car. And here we were about to cross the St. Lawrence River on the Victoria Bridge. This is the oldest bridge connecting Montreal to the south shore. It was completed in 1859. I'm happier crossing it by train. The car lanes have a metal grill surface. I know it's safe, but it makes me uncomfortable. Oh, our idiosyncrasies!

3 comments:

  1. It is funny to realize our little phobias and annoyances - but that is part of what makes us human I guess! Love the view and would prefer being the passenger crossing this distance anyway...more photo opps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about feeling safer in the train. I've only driven on the bridge a couple of times but I really don't like the metal grill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel the clicketty-clack of the tracks! Better duck when you go over the bridge - it looks like the train will barely fit!

    ReplyDelete