Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wall


Wall, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Walls can keep people in, keep people out, provide security, hold back erosion... In a safe part of the world we don't think of walls as exclusionary. In other parts of the world walls can restrict freedom or create safety.

My frustration is with the virtual walls - with those many educational institutions that want to keep students behind a walled garden so that communication is restricted. Instead of teaching students to interact in positive ways, to develop the skills to be safe, they simply lock the door to global interactions. It's time to tear down those walls!

3 comments:

  1. Nice pic and VERY accurate observation. I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I know there are some innovative folks in influencing positions who have made a hole in the wall, but we definitely have our work cut out for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up with you, Susan. I've been away. I always enjoy these posts when the photos illustrate a deep conviction.

    ReplyDelete