Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 21/10: Show of Power


July 21/10: Show of Power, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I came across this statue in Queen's Park and was struck by the sense of aggrandizement. I didn't stop to read the name - I've seen this kind of statue before. It's almost always a man, larger than life, placed so we have to look up to him. It's one way people strive for immortality. As I walk through Toronto (as in other cities) there are buildings named for major donors. Here too is a quest for leaving a lasting legacy.
While it is interesting to see from a historical perspective, I wish there was more celebration of ordinary lives. Social history intrigues me more than learning about monarchs and wars and the indescribably rich.

4 comments:

  1. A celebration of ordinary lives is really an appealing idea that I wish would happen! There are so many people around that contribute to the world in so many ways. Many that I have met in the educational environment come to my mind- quietly going about and doing good things for their students and those that not so quietly go about trying to bring about needed change!

    You are also right about most of these statues being men and how they are made so we do have to look up at them. I laughed as it brought up a memory. I used to feel the same way at school board meetings. Our particular board was mostly men and they had their seats up on a large platform that required us to look up to them if we wished to address our concerns. Photography does make you "see" things!

    All that said, you did a fine job of photographing this. I have found statues to be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The statue made me think: People of small caliber like to sit on high horses. -Magdalena Samozwaniec, writer (1894-1972)
    Let's celebrate the ordinary - if enough of us do it, it will become the norm! Are you still having fun? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, let's celebrate the ordinary. After all, many ordinary people have done extraordinary things. Thoughtful reflection, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm for celebrating the ordinary too!
    That's the type of novel I like...ones about the traditions and culture of the ordinary people of an era or country.

    ReplyDelete