Saturday, July 3, 2010

July 2/10: New Orchid


July 2/10: New Orchid, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Two new orchids joined my indoor garden. My daughter knows how much I enjoy these flowers and surprised me with two new ones. Right now I have (including these) seven flowering and two more with shoots, one of which will be flowering soon. I didn't have any that looked like this one - a saucy combination of yellow and pink. These flowers seem to thrive no matter where you put them.

Meanwhile my outdoor garden is thriving with new flowers making their appearance. My lilies have started to open - velvety orange and yellow flowers. This yellow flower returns each year. I don't know its name.

Yellow Flowers

The feathery astilbes have opened up. Their delicate stalks and quiet colour add some subtlety to my garden.
Astilbe

And the echinacea have shown their faces. Still more surprises to come as the garden changes with the season and weather.

Echinacea Purpurea

I never get tired of photographing flowers. It gets me close to them, to examine their inner workings and be aware of the details of colour, texture and complexity.

5 comments:

  1. Your flowers, both indoors and out, are beautiful - you must have nice green thumb! :) Photographing flowers and other wildlife is such good therapy for the soul and the brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new orchid is beautiful! I never tire of photographing flowers either - they never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy and beautiful flowers. I like the way the sun is shining through the orchid leaves. I also like downward leaves on the lone echinacea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That orchid looks like a celebration.! I have the leaves of one, but it hasn't flowered for years - I wonder why? I think the yellow flower may be Coreopsis. I love Echinacea - both the shape and color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous flowers! I am the same, I have noticed that since I started the daily photo project, I have taken dozens of pictures of flowers. They are so colourful and attractive - make us happy, don't they?

    ReplyDelete