Saturday, February 20, 2016

Tiffany Glass

Tiffany Windows

Anyone who reads this blog knows I go to many concerts. I have always loved the arts - music, dance, visual arts... Just this week I have been to three events: a concert led by Tanya Laperrière for Pallade Musica - of string quartets, the ballet Coppelia and then a concert by Les Boréades of Neapolitan Baroque music which was held in Salle Bourgie, part of the Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal. The concert hall was once a church (the Erskine and American) and these windows were installed in the church, but restored when the museum renovated the building. I had attended concerts in the church. At one of the many memorable concerts, I sat in the front row  - the performer, Jordi Savall was almost in hand-shaking distance. It felt like he was playing just for me.

While I love to hear concerts by visiting groups, I am spoiled living in Montreal, where we have some of the finest musicians specializing in early music. I am doubly spoiled as many of them also teach at CAMMAC and I have had the privilege of being coached by many of them. In last night's lineup - 5 of the 8 musicians have spent Early Music Week there and I have had 4 of them as coaches. Knowing them as teachers, as friends adds to the pleasure of hearing them perform.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
About the windows from http://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/museum-district/claire-and-marc-bourgie-pavilion/

Eighteen of the twenty Tiffany windows were created during the heyday of the famous Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company in New York, between 1897 and 1904. The ensemble was one of only two commissions by Tiffany in Canada and one of the few surviving religious series in North America.

1 comment:

  1. These windows are amazing. I think you are in the perfect place to take advantage of your favorite things, Susan.

    ReplyDelete