Friday, February 19, 2016

Coppélia

Before the Ballet

Last night my daughter and I went to see Coppélia with the Shanghai Ballet. Many years ago I went to a fine arts camp. While there I played music, worked in the pottery  studio and danced. Ballet was one of my passions. The ballet teacher at the camp, a woman named Natasha, taught classes. She walked with a cane and a pronounced limp and spoke with a  Russian accent. Although she could not demonstrate every step, she conveyed what she wanted and had a couple of dancers she brought with her demonstrate when needed. Each summer she staged a ballet every summer. The first one I was in was Coppelia. It's funny how the body remembers. While much of the choreography was different in this version, certain steps resonated in my muscles.

Interestingly, my daughter also did a lot of ballet as a child and performed in a number of productions, one of which was Coppelia. She too, had that sense of knowing, though her experience was much more recent than mine.

Coppelia63

I usually don't post photos of myself, but even my daughter didn't recognize me in this one! It goes back many years! I long ago left my ballet days behind. But music has stayed with me.

1 comment:

  1. Now, I'm carefully looking at those ballerinas! I love to attend the ballet though I never took lessons or danced, except to twirl and imagine myself as a ballerina when I was a girl.

    ReplyDelete