Monday, February 29, 2016

Oscar Peterson Mural

Oscar Peterson Mural

I drove past this mural, created by Montreal artist Gene Pendon in homage to Oscar Peterson
 - no place to park. This was shot through my windshield at a red light. It's not the best angle.

Oscar Peterson, who grew up in this area, was a world renowned jazz pianist. You can read about him here.  I had a the privilege of hearing him in concert many years ago and have a number of his CDs. Montreal was a hotbed of jazz in the 20th century. I recently co-wrote a blog post about a CBC multi platform production for education: Burgundy Jazz. You can learn more about Oscar Peterson as well as other Montreal jazz musicians and also learn about the community that spawned them.

A picture book also recently came out which touches on Peterson's childhood: Oscar Lives Next Door. You can read more about it here.

Here's a video clip for you
Salute to Bach - Oscar Peterson Trio
(apologies if the ad plays first)



2 comments:

  1. Hi,Susan
    I enjoyed Oscar Peterson Trio. That is a wonderful performance!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you also like jazz.

    ReplyDelete