Wednesday, February 24, 2016

House Music

Viola da Gamba Head

With the advent of recorded music, the need to make one's own music lessened. People could have concerts in their homes. What a gain! But what a loss... More and more, we have become passive consumers rather than active makers.

The joy of making music, of sharing the pleasure of playing together is an essential part of my life. My spouse and I spent time with friends playing Telemann, Hasse, Handel (whose birthday it was), Bach -  on recorders, baroque flutes, viola da gamba and harpsichord (an electronic one - our only nod to the electronic age).

The Continuo Section

There is a pile of music waiting for us - for another visit. Music, time with friends, a meal shared - a perfect day.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful old instrument. I watch my daughter and family play in an amateur wind band and see the pleasure and the dedication. They have such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful carving on the viola. I know you were smiling on that night, enjoying friends, music, and food.

    ReplyDelete