Friday, February 5, 2010

Feb 5/10: Up the Down Staircase


Feb 5/10: Up the Down Staircase, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Is it up or is it down? Stairs can lead you anywhere, or just be a place to sit. And how often have you gone up the stairs to get something, only to wonder why you are there. Then you climb down and your memory is jogged, so it's back up the stairs. Are these like Escher's stairs that lead both up and down, you don't know which way you are going? Or are they grounded in reality and just serve their everyday purpose? In a child's mind, stairs are whatever you make them.

From A. A. Milne
Halfway down the stairs
is a stair
where i sit.
there isn't any
other stair
quite like
it.
i'm not at the bottom,
i'm not at the top;
so this is the stair
where
I always
stop.

Daily Shoot: More fun on a Friday: Make a photo that goes with the title of a movie you've seen, interpreted any way you like!

5 comments:

  1. When I was a young girl I used to think that if I stared into a mirror long enough, I'd be able to go through. Stair staring sometimes reverses direction like Escher. Being able to change perspective can be a useful skill in a seemingly impossible situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good perspective in the photo to go along with your lovely commentary. I love the quote from A.A.Milne. All of this give a lot to think about. Mundane everyday things can be a course of marvel when you stop and think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! Reminds me of Langston Hughes, Life Ain't Been no Crystal Staircase. I'm thinking about that challenge. Didn't grab a shot yet. I'm inspired to get to it,
    Thanks,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo and being an avid Winnie the Pooh fan I appreciate the poem. Personally, I've always wanted a window seat that I could sit in and read. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten the Milne poem - I like it. The perspective of the photo makes it hard to determine up from down.

    ReplyDelete