Monday, February 15, 2010

Feb 15/10: Olympics


Feb 15/10: Olympics, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Looking down at the Olympic Stadium which seems to hover like a space ship from Star Trek my thoughts go to the Winter Olympics now taking place in British Columbia. It is a time for patriotism as countries vie for medals through sport. While I cheer for the Canadians I also marvel at the incredible prowess of all the athletes.

Today Canada celebrated Bilodeau's gold medal in moguls with "we won a gold". We didn't win - he did (and very graciously, I must say). I did nothing more than watch his performance. I applaud him and his humble reaction. I admit to a little Canadian pride, but more - an admiration for his dedication, perseverance and attitude.

Bravo to all athletes who have spent so many years working to reach the height of their potential.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the mogul competition was awesome. I enjoy skiing them (very slowly), so I was amazed at the speed and dexterity! Bilodeau did himself and his country proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I love the Olympics for those reasons - realizing a dream after so much hard work, and the pride of country evident in both athletes and spectators.

    ReplyDelete