Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 216: Glass Houses


Day 216: Glass Houses, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Toronto spreads and keeps spreading. What always surprises me is just how far from the centre there are still office towers and tall apartment buildings. A number of them are mirror-like, interesting to see but a hazard for birds who see what seems to be the continuation of the sky. I found a number of articles all stating that up to 5 per cent of birds are killed this way.

At one point I had one window in my house that was tinted so I could work without the sun glare. In daytime it was like a one way mirror. From the outside you could not see in. At one point a young cardinal kept coming back to perch on the window ledge, occasionally pecking at its image. Unbeknownst to him, my two cats were watching him from inside, no farther than the thickness of the glass. After a couple of weeks he stopped coming. My cats had to find another source of amusement. No birds were killed taking this photograph!

cardin

2 comments:

  1. The reflections in the glass buildings are terrific. Nice capture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of the things I love about cities - the reflections creating buildings within buildings. Beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete