Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 225: Viola da Gamba


Day 225: Viola da Gamba, originally uploaded by susanvg.

An afternoon of music: Scarlatti, Telemann, Fasch, Handel... This viola da gamba was built from start to finish by my friend WB. The viola da gamba has gut strings and has a much more mellow sound than the cello. It must be so satisfying to play something you have built yourself. Before I got involved in Early Music, there were some workshops held in Montreal for people to build their own instruments. I looked on the internet and found a set of daunting instructions. At CAMMAC, the music camp I go to, I took some lessons on the viol (another name for the viola da gamba) but decided I was really not a string player. I'll stick to my recorders.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't mind hearing the viola da gamba. I'll have to look for recordings.

    ReplyDelete