Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 240: Wood Trim


Day 240: Wood Trim, originally uploaded by susanvg.

I was driving in Ottawa to meet up with family for dinner when I spotted this house. Stopped at a light, I snatched my camera and took a picture. I like to live with clean lines and little in the way of frills and scallops. But I do enjoy looking at the architecture of another time.

It's interesting to me that for each of the arts, I pick and choose the eras that speak to me the most. I love to listen to and play baroque music, but find the architecture of that time too ornate. Baroque art, when based on religious themes, does not speak to me. I may appreciate the technique, but I am not moved. Yet Bach's cantatas reach into my core. I love art from the late 1800s and early 1900s - that period when artists went outdoors to try to capture the essence of nature, not just try to reproduce it exactly. I like some of the music from that time, but have little interest in more modern composers.

So as I photograph, I am often drawn to the architectural details of structures built in another era. Yet this is as an observer, I prefer to live in a building where my Danish furniture doesn't feel out of place.

2 comments:

  1. I like the frilly aspect of this architecture to photograph. However, it's a bit "fussy" for my actual taste in a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting observation, Susan, that the styles of music and art don't resonate equally for you. Now that I think of it, I feel the same way. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete