Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 218: Tomatoes


Day 218: Tomatoes, originally uploaded by susanvg.

A trip to the market - I try to restrain from over purchasing, but it is hard with all the beautiful fresh produce. The colours of these tomatoes were too hard to resist. The green ones are particularly sweet. It's nice to see so many varieties. So much of what we see and do is becoming homogenized - one suburb looks like another; restaurants in one town are the same as in others. The market celebrates the diversity in nature. I love to make a salad with as many colours as possible - pleasing to the eye and the palate.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful array of colors and sizes! Bet they are tasty, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heirloom tomatoes - I await their return each summer. I love seeing them on a bowl on the counter before we devour them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little buffalo mozzarella and a splash of balsamic vinegar, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! I didn't know there were green tomatoes except for under-ripe ones. I'll have to make a point of hitting some markets and looking for one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all those lovely colors! All you need now is a little salt. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a glorious selection.I'm with Kim - balsamic for me too please. And some nice crusty bread to mop up the juices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colourful in a lovely mellow way, and so juicy looking!

    ReplyDelete