Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 191: Looking Down


Day 191: Looking Down, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Signal Hill, known as the place Marconi received his first transatlantic wireless communication looks over St. John's and the ocean.

The view at the top was breathtaking – you could see the rocky coast, a series of coves and spits of land reaching out to the sea. We hiked down to St. John's on a path that led down (and up) many stairs, along rocky paths looking over the ocean, narrow paths that hugged cliffs (my heart was in my mouth). At one point the path is so narrow and the drop so steep, you have to hang on to chains as you walk. Each time we stopped to take in the views, we marvelled at the many varied sights –
wild flowers abounded – wild roses, buttercups, flowers I recognized from Laurentian walks but whose names I don't know and flowers I had never seen before
incredible sea vistas out to the ocean and in to the harbour, with sea birds squawking
cliffs reaching down to the water
rocky landings near the water, smoothed out by the waves with gulls sunning themselves before the next dive into the water for food

Sometimes you have to challenge yourself to do more than you thought you could – this hike was just that. But I did it!

5 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful place! So many places I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! And, I bet, this accomplishment is much more meaningful than many because it was such a challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Explorer!! I know that path around Signal Hill well as I have walked it three times...the chain freaks me out every time and I don't dare look down! But it is a beautiful spot as is the whole of Newfoundland. I love visiting there as folks are so friendly. I have not been since 2007.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful, Susan. What a beautiful and exhilarating part of the world! Glad you mastered the climb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Margaret

    http://bluetoothspeakerphone.net

    ReplyDelete