Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 194: Music and Beer


Day 194: Music and Beer, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Newfoundland is known for music and drink. A custom, of which we did not partake, is to kiss a cod and drink Newfoundland Screech (a strong rum). Barring that, beer is the next best thing (I didn't partake in that either – I'm more of a wine person). Newfoundland has several breweries; one microbrewery is featured in the background of this photograph. Music is a big part of Newfoundland with live artists in the pubs and bars. Buskers can be found on street corners, the young ones hoping this will be the start of a career, the older ones just hoping for some cash to keep going. Whether out on a boat, in a restaurant or pub, folk songs from Newfoundland's past (strongly influenced by Scottish and Irish music) and songs from current groups can be heard. And music is important to me – I bring one or two of my instruments when I travel and take time to play.

For more photos


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you didn't kiss a cod and drink the Screech...I did it on my first visit there onboard the Scademia, a whale-watching vessel that we went out on. Twas lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete