Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 201: Joe Batt's Arm


Day 201: Joe Batt's Arm, originally uploaded by susanvg.

It is incredible how the terrain changes constantly in Newfoundland. One minute you are in forest of scraggly black spruce, then the road turns and there are incredible views of the ocean and bays, turn another corner and the landscape is not much more than rocks and grass. Practically barren plateaus are dotted with sparkling lakes, which in turn are sometimes dotted with boulders left from the retreat of the last ice age. This was Fogo Island, reachable only by ferry and consisting of 11 small communities. There are even caribou there (though maybe only in winter). Small fishing villages nestle around the bays, though now few earn their living from the ocean with moratoriums on salmon and cod fishing. We saw lobster traps and crab baskets so some are still earning money from the sea.

For more photos

4 comments:

  1. Fogo Island - that dredged up a memory from elementary school, and I won't tell you how long ago that was!

    We used to sing a Canadian folk song - "I'se the B'y". For some reason, the words to this song have stuck!

    The chorus went:

    Hip your partner Sally Tiboo, hip your partner Sally Brown
    Fogo, Twillingate, Morton's Harbour, all around the circle

    Now I know what Fogo looks like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to see the photo you shared with me on the ferry today-continue good trip around the island

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a favorite for me! I love the color and reflections! It is incredible how different our environments can be, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures make me want to plan my next vacation!
    I'd love to see these places in person!

    ReplyDelete