Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 184: Looking Back


Day 184: Looking Back, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This photograph hangs in my office. Dating from around 1913, it was taken in Russia. It is a photograph of my father long before I knew him. Rippled and slightly faded, it gives me a glimpse into the culture of his time as a young boy. Posing for a photograph was a serious thing; cameras were only in the hands of the professionals. Just as today, parents dress their children up for the formal portrait at Sears, he was dressed in clothes, I am sure he rarely wore. A prop was put in his hand.
He did not come from a wealthy family, so this must have been quite a special occasion. And this portrait travelled a year later, across the Atlantic to Halifax and then by train to Montreal. My father told me he was on the ship when war was declared.
I wonder what will happen to all our digital media, stored on disk drives, pocket drives, flash drives, CDs and DVDS. Will the storage devices change and no longer read our stored images (jaz drives, zip drives, floppy disks can not be read by our current machines). Will we lose our past as we race to the future?

1 comment:

  1. I've wondered about that myself as I have come to depend upon flickr for my photographic storage...I doubt we can predict what that new device will be, but hopefully, the important elements of history will not be forgotten!

    ReplyDelete