Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 169: Raindrops


Day 169: Raindrops, originally uploaded by susanvg.

A rainy day - finally my garden has been well-watered. Some garden work I enjoy. Planting brings such a feeling of hope, knowing that there will be growth and change. Weeding can be relaxing or invigorating depending on my mood. Sometimes I just enjoy being in the garden so the weeding is part of the experience. Other times it is my way of getting out my anger at a situation, with weeds taking the brunt. As I pull off the dead heads, I can stop and appreciate the nearby blossoms. But watering is just a bore. I hate dragging the hose around and dancing around the spray as I move it to the next spot. I let my flowers send down deep roots and hope they will thrive. It's ecological, I tell myself. I don't waste water. But secretly I hope the rain clouds will come and do the work for me. So I appreciate the rain.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice close up! To me, it very effectively illustrates the life-giving, thirst-quenching, calm-inducing gift of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - rain...I appreciate it, too. We've been getting our share here in CO - no need to water, that's for sure! What a "fresh" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan I love how you describe the seemingly mundane with such poetry and affection. You have a real gift to inspire. I miss my garden terribly and know I won't have one any time soon. As you described the process of watering, I could almost smell the rain. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter if you get the same amount of 'moisture' level from rain or from the sprinkler/hose, the natural rain always seem to be so much more nourishing for plants - they respond with more green, growth, and (imagined) happiness! :)

    ReplyDelete