Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 167: Stained Glass


Day 167: Stained Glass, originally uploaded by susanvg.

When I bought my house over twenty years ago, it was really by fluke. I wasn't looking for a house just in this area. However, my brother-in-law, who was 25 years older than I, was a friend of the owner and had always raved about it. Coincidentally, I had gone to high school with the owner's son. When my real estate agent suggested seeing the house, I jumped on the chance, more out of curiousity than because I thought I would buy it. When I saw it, it just seemed right. The owner was thrilled that someone he knew was acquiring his beloved home.

Mr. E. had an extensive art collection. This piece of stained glass hung on the wall in the dining room. He left it for me, saying that the dining-room would just not be right without it.

I subsequently learned more about the artist, Eric Wesselow, an innovative glass artist, whose technique of layering glass instead of using lead became known as the Eric Wesselow System. He phoned me once, wanting to come and photograph the work, but unfortunately, he passed away before this could be arranged. Lovely as this looks in my dining room, I don't think I'll be leaving it behind when I move.

If you are interested in learning more about Eric Wesselow, read this article.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I absolutely love this piece - I can only imagine how beautiful it is in person! I did stained glass as a craft (never considered mine 'art') a number of years ago. This layered look is phenomenal - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always a stunnig shot and a story told with genuine love. The glass is gorgeous, I wouldn't be able to part from it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Eric Wesselow's son Stephen, living in Raleigh, NC. I just saw your piece and I got a lump in my throat. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to know more about my father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete