Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 180: NECC Exhibits


Day 180: NECC Exhibits, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This conference is huge - the exhibit floor goes as far as the eye can see. It is overwhelming and very commercial - much more so than Canadian conferences. I took a long walk through and found an excess of booths featuring ways to pigeon hole students. No plans on going back.

I have had some wonderful conversations with people like Helen Barrett, Sue Waters, Angela Meiers, Cheryl Oakes, Alice Barr and many more. It is proof that although relationships develop through our many virtual activities, it is often the face to face that strengthens them. I plan on exploring Second Life tomorrow, but have really enjoyed living in my first life today.

4 comments:

  1. My first NECC was a couple of years ago in Atlanta. I went specifically for the Edubloggercon, to put faces and voices to the conversations I'd been having online. Enjoy the rest of the conference. Skip the sessions in favour of the impromptu F2F conversations; that's what will really carry over when you get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you about most vendor exhibit halls - nature of the beast, I suppose! What is worse to me is when they are on the conference presentation lists...often without full or obvious disclosure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A face to face encounter must help solidify the online exchange of ideas. It's the cement for the vital structure of collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You capture the excitement of NECC so well through your pictures. The displays must be so informative with exciting applications.

    ReplyDelete