Sunday, November 21, 2010

Museum of Nature


Museum of Nature, originally uploaded by susanvg.
A trip to the Canadian Museum of Nature which was recently renovated. This new glass addition shines in the light, quite a contrast to the stone exterior. It appears, almost as an illusion - there but not quite there. You can learn more about it here. I discovered that there was originally a tower built but it had to be dismantled in the early 1900s as the soil underneath could not support the weight. I'm not sure how I feel about this addition. It certainly makes moving between sections of the museum easier.

4 comments:

  1. I am seeing this more and more - the pairing of new architecture with old. It seems incongruous at first glance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting enhancement to the traditional structure. I am reminded of the National Art Gallery in Ottawa, which is noted for its glorification of light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem so out of place, but interesting and yet still beauty. Guess they knew what they were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is still breath taking and making moving between sections of the museum is good. I like the way you have captured it. I continue to be astounded by the architecture in Canada. I so enjoy getting to see the up close photos all of you share.

    ReplyDelete