Sunday, November 14, 2010

Another Autumn Walk


Welcome Birds, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Each weekend walk goes deeper into autumn. The blazing colours are gone, replaced by sepias and browns. This bird house, and others nearby were decorated for Christmas - too early as far as I'm concerned. We are barely over Halloween.

Autumn Remnants

There is beauty in the dried out flowers, colour-stripped and bare. The dried leaves rustle as the squirrels forage, filling up for their winter hibernation. You can smell the drying leaves, a crisp autumn aroma.  I love to hear the honking of geese overhead as they travel south, their wide vees crossing the sky.

Heading South

The sun sets early now that we have changed the clocks. Darkness settles in. Time to hibernate.

4 comments:

  1. Subtle colors do create a more calm atmosphere - nice respite for the 'bright' of summer...though in very small doses for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's a little too early for Christmas decor, but I do put up a few of the less Christmasy decorations for Thanksgiving Day...like the door wreath, snowmen and angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sky behind the geese, Susan. I see I have to be more careful with my comments - if I transpose a letter, the spell checker makes it into a completely different word! You'll think I was imbibing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really capture late fall in these pics. I too like the picture of the geese silhouetted against the sky.

    ReplyDelete