Friday, November 26, 2010

Fairy Lights


Fairy Lights, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Not my best shot - I should have used a tripod, but I was passing these in my car. - yes I parked before taking this photo.
We are heading into the darkest part of the year, with the shortest day being less than a month away. Lights are appearing all over the city. They used to be "Christmas lights" which would appear in December and be gone some time in January. Now they seem to appear earlier and last most of the winter. I like the British term - fairy lights. It makes them appropriate for any season. In many countries, December is a time for festivals and holidays for which light - whether candles, oil lamps, stars... is a symbol of the holiday. It certainly brightens the season, making long dark nights sparkle.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan too.

    Allanah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say the white Christmas lights are my favourite. I think they look best on snow covered trees.
    Glad to hear you parked first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our town sparkles with white lights all winter. I like the thought of Fairy lights!

    ReplyDelete