Friday, November 19, 2010

Iron Gate


Iron Gate, originally uploaded by susanvg.
I passed this iron gate on my way to a concert. I love wrought iron. I once spent considerable time at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London just admiring the many uses and artifacts of wrought iron. Now so many fences are just utilitarian steel. They keep people out, but do not have visual appeal. This gate is in front of an art gallery which itself is in an old building in Old Montreal. This part of the city has cobblestone streets (much nicer to look at than to walk or drive on) and the oldest buildings in the city. Like many other cities, Montreal had its share of fires, so the buildings do date from a variety of eras. It is nice to see this gate enhance the building while providing security.

4 comments:

  1. Wrought iron is more pleasing to the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gate is so intricate and seems to invite the passerby to enter. I've ridden my bike on cobblestones - quite a jarring experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very beautiful iron gate. They really don't make things like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wrought iron, too. This gate is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete