Thursday, October 21, 2010

Handmade Pottery


Handmade Pottery, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Daily Shoot: Double your art today. Make a photo of something you've created or crafted.

I made these many years ago. I featured one of my creations previously but the daily shoot pushed me to feature these. They are coil pots - ropes of clay meticulously placed and then finger push by finger push, attached to the coil before it. I've tried a number of handicrafts over the years, from pottery to a variety of needlework. There is such satisfaction in homemade things, whether crafts or a home cooked meal. That's part of what makes each home unique.

4 comments:

  1. When you look at the pottery, your memories surface and bring back to you that feeling of working with the clay. It looks like it was a tedious process, Susan, but had a fine result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Susan...I have numerous pottery pieces my SIL made...some I even helped with, cutting stars into sides of lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have more patience than me, especially to be able to do needlework. Peg does it and insists that it's relaxing. For me it's just stressful. I will agree that there is a definite beauty to all things handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, I know I commented here - maybe it didn't go through... your pots are special because of your memory of their creation and their lasting presence in your home. They look as though they were hard work - all those coils!

    ReplyDelete