Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sun Life Building


Sunlife Building, originally uploaded by susanvg.
I like to walk in downtown Montreal and look at the different architecture. There are a number of buildings that reflect the architectural style of the early 1930s but the Sun Life Building is one of the best. It announced through its massive size (it had the most square feet of any building in the British Empire when it was completed in 1931) it announced the solidity of the Sun Life Insurance Company.

There is lots to admire with the variety of architectural features. I don't know if it is true, but one web site said that the crown jewels of England as well as bullion from the Bank of England were stored in the basement vaults during World War II. This building was built to last; it dominates Dorchester Square.

5 comments:

  1. Seeing this massive building is making me wonder about insurance companies and their coffers - this was indeed a masterpiece in 1931. The view from my hotel room in Albuquerque was of a domed structure I thought to be a government building - until I noticed the sign of an insurance company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice architecture shot. That's really something I'd like to try. Thanks for the inspiration. Quebec has great architecture so I guess it's just about lacing the shoes, packing up the camera and getting out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this view of the building. The sky was a pretty blue that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice lines and angles in this shot! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure is massive! Great picture with the sun and the blue reflections on the windows, too. Makes me wonder about the wealth of insurance companies, too, though!

    ReplyDelete