Monday, February 14, 2011

Blue Orchid


Blue Orchid, originally uploaded by susanvg.
I have never seen a blue orchid before - this one has just been added to my collection of orchids - a valentine gift. So many people feel blue on Valentine's Day. I've had my share of partnerless years, though now I am fortunate to have a wonderful man in my life. . It's time to reframe Valentine's Day to make it more about love in a more generic way. Celebrate with a friend - friends are one of the more important relationships we have. Celebrate with a child who still sees everything with open-eyed wonder.

It's the old glass half empty vs glass half full. If we focus on the many positives in our lives - the many relationships that make our life full, then Valentine's Day is just another day in the year when we have the opportunity to share love with others.

Happy Valentine's Day to all my virtual friends who have brought a special richness to my life.

8 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful color - reminds me of the color of Flax, which I love. I keep wondering of my orchid will bloom again this year. In the many years I've had it, it has only bloomed twice - it was blooming when someone gave it as a gift and then several years later (last year) it bloomed again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photo. Hope your Valentines day was just as lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful- in all sorts of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful message and spicing up the Valentine's paradigm a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely color...I have only one orchid that's developing blooms at the moment, it was a gift from a friend last spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful orchids. I agree 110% with your reflection. I was away from my loved one on Valentine's Day but had a wonderful evening in Laval with a friend. We are blessed to have so many types of love to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comes a little late - but HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to you, too. Valentine's Day celebrations were only imported to Finland maybe a decade or so ago. And as it's not an originally Finnish tradition, we have changed it a bit. Over here it's known as FRIENDS' DAY. I like this idea a lot, as it's for everybody.
    Your blue orchids look absolute gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete