Sunday, March 2, 2014

Le Malheureux Magnifique

Le Malheureux Magnifique by susanvg
Le Malheureux Magnifique, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
Photos: February 26, 2014

I passed this sculpture on my way to meet up with others for dinner. It represents despair, sadness, but also reflection. As a bitter, damp wind whipped at me, I felt that heaviness of feeling no end to winter.

Le Malheureux Magnifique (another view)

I refuse to let winter get me down. Once inside the restaurant, the warmth of family and friendship cancelled out those wintery blues. The evening happened because we had tickets to see Margie Gillis. She is a contemporary dancer who has broken many preconceived notions about dance. She is 60 and was celebrating 40 years of choreographing. Her usually one woman shows are trips into many human emotions, and yes - despair is sometimes featured, but also incredible joy. She does not have a typical dancer's body, yet she embodies dance. She conveys the human spirit in an honest, open way, its frailties, its anguish, its complexities and its pleasures. At 60 she is a model for women conveying the vibrancy of women of this age. What a pleasure to watch her.

You can see excerpts of her dance here.

More information on the sculpture (only in French) or go to my Flickr image

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive. Looks the sculpture has a strong presence. Margie Gillis is a great dancer. I enjoyed her dance. Thank you for sharing!
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful - a dancer still actively performing into her 60's. That sculpture does look like despair to me - glad it didn't set the mood for your evening.

    ReplyDelete