Saturday, March 22, 2014

Bury Your Dead

Morrin Centre by susanvg
Morrin Centre, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
My spouse and I read Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny together. I enjoy her mysteries and this one was particularly fun as it takes place in Quebec City. We spent a few days there this past week so I thought it would be fun to highlight some of the places mentioned in the book.  Above is the Morrin Centre, once a prison, later a college that was affiliated with McGill University and for some time now, the home of the Literary and Historical Society, an anglophone institution in Quebec. It features prominently in the book.

The Lit and Hist

This is the library in the Morrin Centre - the only English library in Quebec City. The book, aside from being a fun read, is a great way to learn more about the history of the Literary and Historical Society (the Lit and Hist) as well as the history of Quebec City.

Le Petit Coin Latin

We had breakfast here - a favourite of my spouse, who spent about six months living just up the street from this café. The characters in the book frequent this café at 8 1/2 rue Ste-Ursule.

Untitled

The cafe is across the street from 9 3/4 Ste-Ursule which also features prominently. Each building has a number. If there is more than one door to the building it gets differentiated by being 1/2 or 3/4...

Typical House in Vieux Québec

Vieux-Québec (Old Quebec) is full of stone buildings with metal roofs and windows surrounded by wood. Many buildings date from the 1700s and 1800s. There are a few buildings still standing fromt he late 1600s. Could this be the stone home of Émile on St-Stanislas?

Paillard

Quebec is known for great food. Paillard is a bakery, with lots of tables for people to sit and linger over coffee and whatever tempts you.

On Rue St-Jean

Le Café Buade is in a building that dates from the 1800s. There has been a restaurant here since 1919. We, like the characters in the book ate here. Cafés are a great place to linger - to chat, to read (or to discuss a criminal case as in the book).

St Andrew's

This church, around the corner from the Lit and Hist features in the book. It is an English church - most in Quebec are French Catholic.

Café in Vieux Québec

And yet another cafe - a great place to stop for a meal. We stayed a while and worked on a crossword. We had done a fair amount of walking up and down the hills of Vieux-Québec.

More Quebec pictures to come. And do think of reading the book!

5 comments:

  1. Will get a sample on my Kindle, Susan - thanks for the tip. How fun to find places that were in the book while walking in Quebec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this combination blog book review with wonderful photos of sites from the book! I am thinking of reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely read, thank you! It makes me want to stroll into one of those cafes. I haven't read that book but I like Louise Penny as well, and I love, love, love Quebec City. By the way, I believe my husband's Uncle, Robert McGoldrick, was once involved in the Literary & Historical Society. I don't see his name on the committee now, but I'm pretty sure he used to be, because he told us once that one of his duties was ensuring that the names of streets were appropriate to the historical relevance of their location. He now lives on Parc des Braves - how's that for a street name? Only in Quebec!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that your husband lived on St. Ursule, as I lived there too, briefly - for a couple of months while I worked for CBC in Quebec City, (before we went on strike). It was a contract, my first out of journalism school, and I never ended up going back to work there. I lived in a room, next door to the St. Amour restaurant ... it looks like you had a very good weekend in Quebec City.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I really enjoyed to read a part of history of Quebec and to see those photos. There are so much to see!!

    ReplyDelete