Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ontario from the train

Ontario from the train by susanvg
Ontario from the train, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
I took the train from Montreal to Toronto. I always like when the scenery opens up to reveal Lake Ontario. Farmland slopes down to the water - land cleared long ago by the first European settlers.

Industrial

Trains pass industrial areas. Nearby this complex structure was a quarry. I guess they are processing the stone. Any other ideas?

IMG_8750

As we stopped at a station I noticed this young man whose shirt proclaimed Freedom. I thought about train travel and how it has brought many people to new lives over the years.

I like train travel. It goes at a human pace - you can watch the world go by, peek into places you don't otherwise see and take time to sit, read, doze off and chat with people you would not otherwise have met.

2 comments:

  1. Everthing is so green, Susan! I haven't traveled by rail in a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Train is my favourite form of transport, if available and affordable. In Finland, it's ridiculously expensive to encourage people to abandon their cars for a journey. How did you manage to take such sharp pictures through the windows, and without any reflections either?

    ReplyDelete