Monday, April 2, 2012

Report of an Accident

A Car Hit the Stop Sign by susanvg
A Car Hit the Stop Sign, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
Friday evening as we were finishing dinner, we heard a long squeal of brakes followed by a loud crash. As we heard others going to help, we thought it best not to add to the crowd. Emergency vehicles arrived fairly quickly. This occurred just around the corner from me.

It seems two cars were drag racing (my neighbourhood is very residential). They must have taken the turn at quite a clip (there is a stop sign) as one car hit the stop sign, bounced off the stone wall and came to a stop in the middle of the street and burst into flames.

Remains from the Car Fire
Burnt spot where one car ended up

I am not sure which car hit which, but the second car skidded onto a lawn and landed up (part on its side is what I heard) against a house.


One Car Met this House

Fortunately it hit the chimney. I would hate to think what would have happened if it hit the gas entry. It seems no one was seriously hurt. I don't understand why some youth think it is OK to behave in this manner with no thought to possible repercussions.

2 comments:

  1. I feel sorry for the house owner for the damage. The house has such charming walls and a window. It could have been much worse if the car had hit the gas entry as you wrote. Hope the two youth have learned something important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, it was a wake-up call to them and their friends. Kids think they're immortal. I hope they must pay property damage.

    ReplyDelete