Friday, August 9, 2013

Flower Clock

Flower Clock by susanvg
Flower Clock, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
As long as I can remember this clock has been planted every year in front of Victoria Hall. It is a little hard to read from close up, but I also wonder how many of the younger generation can still read clocks with digital time pieces being so prevalent.

It's when I reflect back on changes that I realize I have lived quite a while. I had my hair trimmed today and reminisced about my mother going to the "beauty parlour" every week. There were no home hair dryers and hair-dos required a more professional touch. I thought about those first hair dryers which fit over the head like a puffy shower cap. The woman who cut my hair could not imagine how we managed without hair dryers. It did not seem like a hardship to me as a youngster, but I don't think my mother enjoyed sleeping in metal rollers so she could meet the expectations of women in the 1950s.

2 comments:

  1. You've brought back memories to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is nostalgic to me, not only about the bygone beauty parlors but also the flower clock which reminded me of the flower clock in front of the city hall of Kobe, where I was born and raised.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete