Walking through my neighbourhood, I passed the schoolyard. Children were building a snow fort near a tree. A few things struck me about this - we call it a snow fort, not a snow house. This brings with it the idea of keeping safe inside and keeping others out. When I was teaching in school, this was so often the case. What started as play - let's build - turned into possession - let's keep people out.
It has been a momentous day. Barack Obama was sworn in as President of the United States. I watched with tears in my eyes to see and feel the hope for change in the air. Having lived through the 50s and 60s, I saw the evolution that brought the U.S. to today.
It is a pleasure to see children playing. Can Barack Obama help eliminate the racism and other impediments to mutual respect. In the future will children be building houses instead of forts?
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Day 20: Snow Fort
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
making snow forts looks like fun, but also hard work!
ReplyDelete