My house is full of flowering plants. Each December I plant an amaryllis and marvel at its speed of growth and then the bursting forth of the trumpet-like flowers. My amaryllis is on the brink, a promise of future glory. But I know there is a danger that the heavy blossoms may cause the plant to topple, as it sits in a pot of light soil, with which it was packaged and sold. The pot does not quite counterbalance the flowers.
Beautiful, ephemeral, its blooms last only a few weeks. Each day, I take time to focus on its beauty. Flowers demand that we stop and take moments of reflection. Through them we can cultivate our inner gardens.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Day 21: A promise of things to come
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am watching my amarylis too. I used to always have one in class and the kids would chart the growth. You can almost see them growing.
ReplyDelete