Thursday, July 20, 2017

Creating New Challenges

Digital Harpsichord 2

Is it the fact that I am getting older, having recently retired or just that I always like to learn - this year has been a year to create new challenges. This digital harpsichord arrived last Thursday. I had my first lesson on Friday. I played the piano for about five years long ago and there still seems to be some muscle memory in my fingers, though I have a very long way to go. One advantage of this instrument is that I can plug in a headset and practice without annoying anyone.

Another challenge I have taken on is an attempt to learn Spanish. I am in no hurry - but do about 5 - 10 minutes practise every day with Duolingo. It is enough to make me able to have simple conversations with someone who works at the gym where I go. But she obligingly speaks slowly. Most Spanish speakers I have heard speak at quite a clip!

And my third challenge. For the first time in my life I am running. My brother and I will be doing a 5K in a few weeks. I plan to walk and run - and am only racing against myself. That way I will do well ;-) - beating my non-existent record so far. Whatever time I run it will be my best.

Am I run away from aging or running towards aging well?




3 comments:

  1. Dear Susan - Your challenging sprit shows how young you are. It's never too late to learn something new for your personal pleasure. Your new digital harpsichord looks beautiful, which would motivate you more. Keep running, keep learning, keep smiling. I’ll see you in September after a summer break.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!Susan. Your new life will start.
    Your new digital harpsichord is beautiful! My oldest piano student is now 75. She began practicing piano after she retired at 65. She could not read music notes at all but she was eager to play Chopin Nocturne Op 9-No 2. It was her dream from her young age. She studied step by step, struggling but she was happy. Finally the time to practice Nocturne came a couple of years ago. She still continues practicing Shopin's Nocturne. I always admire her passion and efforts. She teaches me that never too late to learn something.

    Learning another language is fun. It is a long way to go. So glad you have a chance to practice Spanish every day, even 5-10 minutes is great!
    Let's keep studying and enjoy our hobbies. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's exciting! (You're braver than I.) And the harpiscord is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete