Friday, November 25, 2016

The Opa Chair

The Opa Chair

Photo: November 23, 2016

Some things are in my home because of their history and their usefulness. This chair is one. It originally belonged to my in-laws who, when they retired, moved south. My late husband, single at the time, kept the chair. It has been reupholstered a couple of times, but otherwise looks much as it did then. It has followed me whenever I moved. I discovered its true use as my relatives aged - a chair with arms is perfect for older people who need something stable to help push themselves up. My late father-in-law, Opa to my children, was one who used the chair whenever he was in Montreal. And so, the chair was dubbed the Opa Chair. It has served many people well over the years. It suffered some damage on my last move, but I had it repaired. It continues to be the chair of choice for those who need that extra boost to help them stand up after sitting a while.

1 comment: