Thursday, April 7, 2016

Bonsai Trees

Chinese Peashrub

Photos: April 6, 2016

Yesterday at the Botanical Gardens we walked through the greenhouse that holds a number of bonsai trees. It is hard to imagine the care and expertise needed to nurture these specimens. This is a 40 year old Chinese Peashrub.

Gingko Maidenhair Tree

This Gingko is just coming into leaf again. I'll have to make a point of going back to see what it is like when the foliage is full.

Japanese Maple Bonsai

(Above - a Japanese Maple - 65 years old)  I'm fascinated by the art of bonsai. It takes a lot of skill and patience. This site has a lot of information. It's interesting to see the trees undergoing seasonal changes.

Bald Cypress Bonsai

This Bald Cypress is also 65 years old. How many people have been responsible for its care? On the site mentioned above, there are photos of bonsais that are 800 years old and older. It is hard to imagine the succession of people who have nurtured them - through all kinds of upheaval (political, weather...) until now. They are works of love and devotion.

*******************************
As the above photos were taken yesterday (as were my butterflies, I figured I should include one photo from today

April Snow

We have had snow and rain since our visit to the Botanical Gardens yesterday. It is April; it will melt, but in the meantime I prefer to sit with my back to the dreary weather and think again of butterflies and bonsais.

3 comments:

  1. I just love bonsai trees. I've wanted one of my own for years, but I know that they are like pets and need constant care and someone else to look after them if the owner is gone on a several day trip. They're so graceful - very special. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with snow! However, it went into the 50's today, and there has been a lot of melt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you have a bonsai botanical garden in your area! Those bonsai trees are taken well by your camera. As Barb says, yes they are like pets. Many seniors have bonsai hobbies , growing them at home, but bonsai can be completed in one generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for my wrong English ......can not be completed in one generation.

    ReplyDelete