Monday, July 29, 2013

Mural in the Passageway

Mural in the Metro by susanvg
Mural in the Metro, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
Whenever I take the metro to concerts in the church in Old Montreal, I take a passageway that goes below a main street. It was always a bit unsavoury. The walls were a textured concrete - very cold and grey looking. Homeless people sometimes used the space to sleep in. For some months as I walked through, to my delight, there was baroque music playing on speakers as I walked through. It seems it was to discourage the vagrants from hanging around.

When I walked into the space, It had been transformed. This mural livened up one wall.

From Grey to Colour

And all along the walls, bright colours had been painted between each of the ridges in the concrete. The wall seems to change from grey to colour depending on the angle from which you view it. What a difference - like the film, The Wizard of Oz, the grey world had been turned to colour.  The mural and stripes, is by MU, a group devoted to creating outdoor art in Montreal. It was designed by Philippe Allard and is called Printemps (Spring). The baroque music is still playing. I just might have to go back and linger to enjoy it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment