Saturday, July 20, 2013

Faded

Faded by susanvg
Faded, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
It has been a tough week. Last Saturday my father-in-law passed away. Although he was almost 91, there is never a good time to lose someone you love. I have only been with my spouse for 7 years, but I had been made to feel a welcome part of the family right from the start.

His humour, his love of learning, his tremendous love for his family and friends, his compassion all made an impression on me. His time was well-spent, his passing peaceful.


A parting guest

What delightful guests are they
Life and Love!
Lingering I turn away,
This late hour, yet glad enough
They have not witheld from me
Their high hospitality.
So with face lit with delight
And all gratitude, I stay
Yet to press their hands and say,
"Thanks. So fine a time! Goodnight."

James Whitcomb Riley, American poet (1849 - 1916)

1 comment:

  1. Susan,
    May your father- in- law rests in peace……he will always remain in your memories.
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete