Sunday, May 12, 2013

Trillium Time

Trillium by susanvg
Trillium, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
There is something special about walking in the woods at trillium time. The forest floor is blanketed with these perky flowers.

Trillium Time

It is another of spring's ephemeral offerings. Soon the flowers will disappear for another year.

White Trilliums

For years I was oblivious to these magic moments, but once I fell under their annual spell, I have made a point to go walking in the woods to catch their brief appearance.

Untitled

Sadly some trilliums did not grow this year. About a week ago there was a fire on Summit Park. The underbrush was very dry and a fire started (a carelessly thrown cigarette? ) which scorched the ground and damaged some trees. It could have been much worse, but the firefighters were able to stop it fairly quickly. This is breeding time for many birds. I hope they were not too disturbed by this event. These urban oases are such important places.

1 comment:

  1. I love these tiny, delicate gifts of spring. I'm hoping my elusive Fairy Slipper blooms this spring when our snow finally melts.

    ReplyDelete