Saturday, April 6, 2013

Bonsai Cherry Tree

Bonsai Cherry Tree by susanvg
Bonsai Cherry Tree, a photo by susanvg on Flickr.
On the way to and from the butterfly exhibit we passed through a greenhouse with bonsais. Montreal has a large collection. Only a small part of the collection resides here. Most are in a pavilion that is only open starting in May. Each year I say I must go back.

Bonsai

I always find it interesting that we are so fascinated with things in miniature. I remember taking my (then fairly young children) to Madurodam in The Netherlands. We walked like giants around the miniaturized sampling of Dutch life. There, too, the plant life was coaxed into miniature versions of the normal larger forms.

Bonsai - Japanese Maple

I admire those with the patience and knowledge to maintain these trees (this one is 55 years old). It is definitely a work of love.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,Susan,
    Those bonsai are beautiful!The Japanese often have chances to see bonsai.I have heard that it is hard to make cherry tree bonsai as the tree grow faster. It is first time for me to see the bonsai cherry tree flowering!

    Thank you for your comment on my latest post.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I like your selection. The trunks look strong to grow upward and the branches are thick and their curves are well-balanced. When I was younger I didn’t understand the “work of love” you wrote and I wanted to let trees grow naturally. Now I understand proper human assist make trees more attractive. With best wishes to your spring, Susan.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  3. ARE YOU FAMILIAR OF BONSAI PLANT?
    I am a new member of the society, and i have lack of knowledge on how to train my bonsai materials, And finally i found this site, http://pbsdumalinao.weebly.com my doubts, problem was answered..And i was very thankful.

    ReplyDelete